Position: General Manager
Position Type: Part-time, contract
Start Date: November 2, 2015
Duration: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Hours: Minimum of 10 – 15 hours per week on a flexible schedule, with the potential to increase to 30 hours per week, pending position funding
Application Deadline: Friday, September 25, 2015 at 11:59 p.m.
Send submissions to: General Manager Search Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information: www.theamyproject.com
The Artists Mentoring Youth Project (The AMY Project) is currently seeking a new General Manager to lead the organization into its next phase of achievement, and invites applications from passionate and dedicated administrative leaders with experience in arts education and/or community arts. This is a part-time position working 10-15 hours per week, for 6 months, with the possibility of extension and expansion pending funding success. The work schedule will vary and will include evenings and weekends.
Now in its 11th year, The AMY Project is a free arts education program offered to young women between 14 and 26 years of age from across the Greater Toronto Area. The AMY Project builds the leadership, confidence, and unique voice of young women in Toronto by providing them with performance training, connections to artistic mentors, experience working in a professional theatre, and support towards the early growth of their careers. The program operates on four Core Values: Inclusivity, Artistic Excellence, Mentorship, and Building Community. The AMY Project presently operates four programs: The AMY Spring Creation Program, AMY Summer Performance Program, AMY Leadership Program, and the AMY HER-rizin’ Bursary. For more information visit www.theamyproject.com
Key projects for the year ahead include the Spring Creation Program (January 1 – May 15, 2016) and, pending funding success, the Summer Performance Program (June 1 – August 31, 2016). All project dates are subject to change and contingent on funding.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, and working in partnership with the Artistic Director, the General Manager:
- Articulates and realizes an administrative vision in reflection of the company’s mandate, mission, and values
- Leads and manages all elements of administrative duties, from scheduling and funding, through to production support, evolving the successful AMY program models. This includes confirming project funding partners, scheduling, and hiring program facilitators, and other program staff
- Contributes to the outreach strategy and participant selection, in conjunction with the Artistic Director
- Nurtures industry partnerships and works closely with professional theatre partners and project hosts
- Researches and pursues public and private funding opportunities
- Represents The AMY Project at meetings and events
- Creating and managing the yearly budget and cash flow
- Managing the accounting and bookkeeping
- Managing the production elements with the Spring workshop and Summer production
- Coordinating all fundraiser efforts, including one large event per year
- Board relations and reporting
- Other duties as assigned
- A love for theatre, dance, music and other performing arts coupled with a passion for empowering the lives of young women
- Professional experience in the performing arts, with administration and/or producing experience
- The proven ability to successfully vision and develop governance and arts administration practiced for arts-based programming for youth
- Quickbooks or other accounting software considered an asset
- Experience with and a passion for facilitating accessible, barrier-free community programming
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Superb attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Excellent analytical skills and good judgment with ability to trouble-shoot and solve problems
- The ability to guide and inspire artists, youth, production and staff; and collaborate with a Board of Directors to lead the organization towards future success.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: by 11:59 pm on September 25, 2015.
TO APPLY: Please respond with:
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
- Your hourly wage expectations
- A resume
- Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your compensation expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Please send applications via email to: email@example.com with the subject line GENERAL MANAGER APPLICATION by 11:59 pm on September 25, 2015.
No phone calls please. Shortlisted candidates will be required to prepare a budgeting and administrative exercise in the second phase of the process.